The Leahy Stadium Solar Project
In response to Pope Francis' appeal for better care of "our common home" in his encyclical letter "Laudato Si'" and to further educate the school community on sustainability issues and proper care of the environment, the Creighton Prep Sustainability Club is embarking on an exciting proof-of-concept project to help power Carmen & Don Leahy Stadium with solar energy.
A system of solar modules will be designed with assistance from Morrissey Engineering and installed on the roof of the stadium press box by Boyd Jones Construction. Educational add-ons and a ChargePoint dual port electrical vehicle charger will also be part of the project.
The system is estimated to generate 10.3 megawatts of solar energy per year and these important benefits among others:
- Spreading awareness at Prep and in the larger community about the importance of addressing climate change.
- Educating students on solar power through their involvement in system monitoring and Innovative Technology courses.
- Launching discussions on what future investment in renewable energy could look like for the campus.
- Saving Prep $950 per year in energy costs.
How You Can Help
Your financial support is critical to its success. Thank you for your consideration.
Our funding goal is $50,000, and we have received commitments to date of $32,500. So we still need to raise $17,500.
To Donate Today
Visit our Give Now page and:
- Type in your donation amount in the Donation Amount field.
- Select "Other" from the Gift Designation menu.
- Select "Leahy Stadium Solar Project" from the Other menu that appears.
- Complete the rest of the form as directed.
- Press the Submit button at the bottom of the form.
- Complete the payment information requested on the page that appears next and submit your donation.
To Learn MorE
To learn more about the solar project and giving opportunities, contact Vice President of Advancement Rick Berger '76 at (402) 548-6218 or email@example.com.