Home >
About Prep > History
page tools :



In 1878, John A. Creighton made good on a promise he made to his brother Edward Creighton and Edward's wife, Mary Lucretia (Wareham) Creighton, that the family fortune would be used to create a school for boys in which education was quality, Catholic-based, open to all young men of promise and, most of all, affordable. 

From its beginning in 1878 until 1958, Creighton Prep operated as a department of Creighton University. As both the university and the high school at Creighton grew and became more complex in their operation, it became clear that they would each be better served by separating and becoming distinct institutions. In anticipation of such a separation, in January of 1953 the present plot of land was purchased on Western Avenue at a cost of $50,000. In the spring of 1956, Creighton began a capital funds campaign, one of its purposes being to raise money for a new building for Prep. This new classroom building was completed in the spring of 1958, at a cost of $1,584,000.

Since then, a series of updates and additions have been completed throughout the school.  Below is a rough time line and description of those updates.

  • Creighton Prep 1878
  • Creighton Prep 1958
  • Creighton Prep 1961
  • The Tin Gym 1970
  • Henry L. Sullivan, S.J. Campus Center 1992
  • Dr. James B. & Joan C. Peter Science Center 1999
  • Cassem Memorial Library 2003
  • The Heider Center 2008

protecting students

apply here

give to creighton prep

Creighton Prep forms men of faith, scholarship, leadership and service in the Catholic and Jesuit tradition


7400 Western Ave
Omaha, NE 68114

402 393 1190

Contact Us
Site Map
Privacy Policy

Facebook   Twitter   You Tube   Instagram   Flickr

email page print page large type small type
powered by finalsite